For my work sample I am working on teaching my students to find items in a grocery circular and then total the items. It is the IEP goal for two of my students. Boring. Who does that in real life? Sorry if you do that. No offense.
One of the issues for these students is teaching generalizing skills. Sure, they can add the items in the classroom looking at a fake grocery advertisement. But could they go into a store and find those items and total them? Well I decided to find out.
Unfortunately my teaching style is very impulsive. I needed my students to go to the store to buy items for a cooking project. So I thought I would kill two birds with one stone by giving my students a list of grocery items and we could do our lesson for my work sample at the store.
I had a general idea of what I would need to do with these students. They had been to this store before and I had an idea of how I would manage four students and an I.A. at the store. What I had not planned on was that my University Supervisor decided to do a surprise visit to observe my lesson. Awesome. Well, not so much.
In all fairness I don't think I could have planned it better the first time. There were so many variables I just could not account for. But overall I thought it went well. My students did well. They understood the concept. We had so much fun I decided to do it again the next day.
The second time it went much better. I printed out specific worksheets with visual aids for some of my students. This worked much better. Live and learn, right? I knew they enjoyed it the first time because they voted to go to Bi-Mart for math on a day where it was pouring down rain and windy knowing we would have to walk in it to go to the store. But it was fun for all of us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment